These zucchini chocolate chip muffins are one of my favourite baked goods at the moment. I created this treat, as I do with all of my healthy dessert recipes, using a non-healthy recipe found online as the base. Which I then make changes and substitutes to, to make as healthy as possible, meanwhile still tasting delicious!
I vlogged about creating this recipe from scratch, showing my first attempt which actually worked out exceptionally well. However, there were a few revisions that were needed in order to make the recipe perfect. The final version of the recipe is below.
This is a quick, simple and easy to make recipe that is perfect as an on-the-go breakfast or enjoyed during that 3pm craving hour!
This muffin recipe is:
High in fiber
Low in refined sugar
Can easily be made vegan
Zucchini Chocolate Chip MuffinsPrint This
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini (washed & grated)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cups, spray cups. (Since there is no oil in the recipe the batter does slightly stick to the cups if they are not sprayed).
- Add the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a medium sized bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg, maple syrup, apple sauce, almond milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir until throughly combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir. Fold in the zucchini, chocolate chips and nuts. Stir.
- Scoop into muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Happy Muffin Making!