Looking for an easy, healthy, one-bowl banana bread that you can quickly whip up when those bananas start to turn brown and speckled!? You have come to the right place! This super moist treat is the perfect balance of soft and spongey bread, slight crunchiness from the walnuts and sweetness from the chocolate pieces marbled throughout.
It is naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup and can easily be made VEGAN or GLUTEN FREE, by using maple syrup and flax eggs for a vegan recipe, or by using gluten free whole wheat flour for a gluten free recipe.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup honey (for non-vegan bread) or maple syrup (for vegan bread)
- 2 eggs (or flax eggs for vegan bread)
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup nut milk or water (I used almond milk)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- OPTIONAL: Add in a 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, raisins, etc. (I used chopped walnuts and chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 325°F and grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce and honey (or maple syrup). Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Whisk in the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.
- Lastly, stir in the whole wheat flour, until your mixture is well combined.
- Gently fold in any optional add-ins.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool before slicing.
NOTE: this banana bread is delicious when fresh, but also when you let it sit in a sealed bag in the fridge for 1 day.
Similar recipes to try:
What are your favourite ingredients to add into banana bread!?
Mine are WALNUTS & CHOCOLATE CHIPS!
If you have any comments of questions I would LOVE to hear from you in the comments below!