This vegetarian dish is both delicious and nutritious! It is full of simple, yet healthy ingredients and will leave you feeling perfectly satisfied. It is not loaded down with flour, butter, pasta, or cream, yet instead it is full of vegetables, quinoa and is topped with a crispy cheesy topping!
It is SO SIMPLE and QUICK to make it will amaze you! As a bonus it makes a large amount for leftovers.
- 2 + 1/2 cups uncooked organic quinoa
- 2 large heads of broccoli (washed and only florets used)
- 1/2 red onion (finely chopped)
- 4 + 1/2 cups low salt vegetable stock (or you could use water)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 2 + 1/2 cups fresh organic baby spinach (finely chopped)
- 12 oz. skim mozzarella cheese (grated)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the quinoa and chopped onion in a 9×13 inch rectangular glass baking dish.
- Place the broccoli in a large microwave safe bowl and put in the microwave for 3-5 minutes, until it is cooked. Then set aside.
- In a large baking pot mix the vegetable stock, cornstarch and salt together using a wire whisk. Heat the mixture until it comes to a boil.
- Add the vegetable stock mixture to the quinoa and onion. Then add the spinach, parmesan cheese and 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Then take out of the oven and mix the broccoli into the casserole (I pushed the broccoli florets into the cheesy topping and then sprinkled the rest of the mozzarella onto the top.
- Pop the casserole back into the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.