Wanting to enjoy pizza guilt free? This crust can be made with either broccoli or cauliflower, however of the two I found that broccoli gave the crust the most amount of flavour. This recipe is a healthy alternative to regular pizza dough and is low in fat and carbs as well as is vegetarian and can be made vegan and gluten free as well with just a few simple adjustments!
For the crust:
- 1 medium cauliflower or broccoli head
- 1 tbsp wholewheat flour (or for those gluten free quinoa flour)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large egg (or flax egg for vegans)
- 1/2 tsp each dried oregano and basil
- 1/4 tsp each garlic and red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp yeast (optional)
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup grated cheese
- vegetables for stir fry
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Wash the cauliflower or broccoli and cut off the florets. Place in a food processor and blitz for 20 seconds or so, until it is snow-like consistency.
2. Place in a microwaveable bowl and cook for 4 minutes. Take out and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 450 F. Use a towel or sieve to drain AS MUCH WATER AS POSSIBLE from the broccoli or cauliflower. You should end up with something that resembles a ball of dough.
4. Place in a bowl along with the flour, oil, oregano, basil, garlic, red pepper flakes and yeast.
5. Mix together with your hands before adding the egg.
6. Spread the pizza base out on parchment paper ensuring that it is around 1/4 inch thick. Place into the oven on a baking tray and bake for 12 minutes, until the crust is hard and golden.
7. While the pizza base is in the oven, stir fry your vegetables, prepare the topping and grate the cheese.
8. Once the pizza base is out of the oven spread a thin layer of the tomato paste onto the top and cover with cheese. Then out back into the oven for 3 minutes. Take out of oven and put stir fry onto of pizza and voila! A DELICIOUS PIZZA TO ENJOY!