This salad is one of the easiest and most delicious ways to get your greens in! It is high in protein, fibre, iron, vitamin A, B and C meanwhile only requires 10 ingredients (5 for the salad + 5 for the dressing). The perfect choice for those wanting to get their health back on track, after a long summer of indulgences.
QUICK NOTE – this salad should be made to serve immediately, so would be perfect for a BBQ lunch and family dinner…but not the best to store in the fridge as a meal prep salad for the week. Unless you store all of the ingredients separately and toss together before eating.
5 things that you many not know about goat cheese:
- Goat cheese contains less lactose than cow’s milk
- Goat cheese contains smaller fat globules than cow’s milk, therefore making it easier for your body to digest
- Goat cheese is lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than typical cheddar cheese
- Goat cheese is higher in vitamin D, K thiamine & niacin per serving then cow’s cheese
- Raw, unpasteurized goat cheese contains probiotics (for good digestive health)
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups kale (stems removed)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (toasting optional)
- 1/3 cup crumbled raw, unpasteurized goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (or red onion)
- 2-3 teaspoon Dijon mustard (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, except for the oil. Once combined, gradually whisk in the oil, which will create a nice creamy dressing.
- Combine the kale and spinach in a large bowl.
- Top the greens with the dressing and toss to coat each leaf evenly.
- Top with goat cheese and walnuts and serve immediately.
Happy Salad Making,
Looking for the perfect wood bowls to toss & serve your salad in?
Check out these great Amazon finds!